Formal Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone, 

My name is Denzil Kong, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you. I am pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology. I have lofty aspirations to improve the infrastructure and public works in Singapore and the region.

Upon graduating from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering and a minor in business management, I elected to pursue a degree in civil engineering, despite my initial major in mechanical engineering. I have always been asked why I decided to make the jump from mechanical to civil engineering.

After getting my diploma, I had the opportunity to travel to countries outside of the Southeast Asia region. Throughout my travels, I discovered many unique and spectacular buildings and structures that I had never seen before. Thus, I became interested in learning about the applications of engineering on buildings and structures.

Although the people around me often form the impression that I am outspoken and unreserved, I do not exhibit such traits around unfamiliar faces or when having to address a crowd. I tend to stutter and sometimes lose my train of thought due to my soft-spoken and shy nature. One communication strength of mine would be that I am an active listener. When friends and family approach me with their problems, I am able to understand things from their perspective and offer effective solutions.

By the end of this module, I hope to be able to speak confidently to a crowd as well as improve my writing skills to be more convincing and professional. One attribute that sets me apart from others would be my unrelenting determination. Once I become fixated on a goal that I want to accomplish, I will persevere through all challenges no matter how tough they are.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Denzil

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Denzil, for the 4th paragraph, I really liked how you gave a subtle hint about your weakness. Even though it is a subtle point, you gave an excellent example and explained your points concretely which sent the message across clearly. However, the flow of it contrasts strongly with how you mentioned your strengths clearly. In my opinion, to make the whole paragraph flow a little bit better, I would use "On the other hand, I am a strong active listener" instead. Other than that, I feel that you could have explain on how speaking confidently and improving your writing skills would make u to be more convincing and professional. Additionally, the letter ended abruptly. If you were to end the letter with an ending sentence and thank the ]professor for taking the time to read the letter, it would make the letter flow better and appear more courteous to the reader. Other than that, the points are being covered and I am able to understand his explanations due to the clarity in his language. He has excellent usage of his grammar and verbs. Overall the letter was a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing Denzil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zul for the advice! I will make sure to improve on these points in the future!

      Delete
  2. Hi Denzil, I think your letter is very clear and concise. it splits the different areas up to let the user easier to read and understand what you are saying. It is very nice to know that you come from a different course and dare to try new things out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Professor Blackstone! I make use of the opportunities I get during this module to improve on my communication skills.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts